Many studies has proved that the level of contaminants in the indoor air is higher than outside air. For hospitality enterprises, most problematic area in respect to entire air quality is tobacco smoke. There are four ways in which the air contaminants can be lessened like elimination, isolation, filtration, and dilution. The best approach is to eliminate the source, and the next best is isolation. Filtration removes the gases and particulates released by tobacco smoke, while dilution accomplishes the same by increasing the exchange of outside and inside air.
Poor air quality inside the restaurant can have the consequences like loss of worker’s attention and productivity, deteriorating health effects, increased building energy and maintenance costs. Poor air quality in the hotel is indicated by dry or moist air conditions. This may cause problems like oxygen deficiency, which leads to tiredness, respiratory problems and increase in mold spores etc.
Air quality inside the restaurant can be improved by introducing the fresh air in to the restaurant which in turn can be done by the following ways:
- Cleaning all the parts of air system- Regular cleaning of parts of the air systems like coils, fans, ducts helps in improving the air quality.
- High Ozone shock treatment- To kill any remaining bacteria or mold in the room, it is necessary to give a high ozone shock treatment.
- Installing Air Purifying System- An air purifier helps to remove the contaminants present in the air.
- Upholstery on the sofas, chairs, carpets etc must be cleaned regularly.
- For keeping the room healthy for allergy sufferers, mattresses and pillows should be covered to prevent dust mites.
Implementing above said methods increases the indoor air quality and is beneficial to both employees and restaurant management. They provide safe and clean environment for the customers and also gives competitive advantage to the business.