In car, there are many features that will help in keeping you and your family safe. Initially some features were introduced for convenience like central locking etc. Nowadays, there are more advanced features that will provide you with greater safety. Whether you are buying a used car or a new car, it is important to first check for safety features in the car. In this article, we will discuss about the safety features to look for when buying a car.
Safety features to look for when buying a car
1) Seat Belts
Seat belts are designed to keep you safe at place in case of accidents or crashes. They also reduce the risk of bumping your head on the steering wheel and dashboard. Seat belts that are designed today have following extra features for its improved performance:
- Adjusting upper belts: An adjusting upper belt help you in changing the position of the shoulder strap for accommodating the size of the person. This feature encourages the passengers for wearing their seat belts since it comforts your shoulder.
- Seat belt pretensioner: Pretensioners help in tightening and reducing slack in seat belt to protect the passenger from moving forward rapidly in the event of accidents.
- Rear center seat lap: Many car manufacturers provide this feature. This is beneficial especially to those who are seated in rear center position.
2) Antilock brake system (ABS)
Antilock brake system help prevent car’s wheels from locking during sudden brake or stop that allows a driver for maintaining steering control-a major factor that avoids collision. Either sporty vehicles, trucks and vans that have ABS can have two wheel or four wheel ABS. A car that has four-wheel ABS monitors and controls all the wheels whereas the car that has two wheel ABS will monitor and control only two wheels.
3) Electronic Stability Control
This feature is designed for assisting drivers to maintain control of the car during extreme steering maneuvers. Electronic stability control senses when the car starts to over steer or understeer, thus applies brake automatically to a single wheel. It reduces the risk of crashes an important feature to look for.
4) Traction control
This system in vehicle improves its stability by limiting the tire slip especially on slippery surfaces. During acceleration, some of this system applies brake to the selected wheels. Traction control is often found in vehicles with four-wheel Antilock brake system.
Accidents data shows, vehicles that are heavy offer more protection, whereas light vehicles are more prone to accidents especially in two vehicle accidents or crashes.
Following these points help you ensure buying a car that is safe for you and your loved ones.