Maintaining your kid’s teeth healthy from the infant stage helps you avoid the dental problems in future. Healthy teeth can be maintained by brushing teeth regularly.
How to keep your kid’s teeth healthy?
At the Infant stage:
- Before teeth appear, The gums should be cleaned with a wet soft cloth. This removes the plaques in the surface of the gum which leads to the decay problems.
- As soon as tooth appear, brush the teeth with water. Do not use tooth pastes.
By the age of 2 years:
- By the age of two years, start brushing the teeth with a soft bristled tooth paste.
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes. Once at bed time and before breakfast.
- Use a fluoridated tooth paste to clean the surface of the teeth.
- A pea sized amount of tooth paste is enough for brushing.
- Make sure that your child is not eating the tooth paste.
- After brushing ask them to spit, so they do not swallow the froth.
- Always use a good quality nylon soft bristle tooth brush and make sure that the head of tooth brush should be small.
- Change the brush once in every 3-4 months.
- Once all the teeth appear and the teeth are touches to each other. Floss the teeth weekly once.
- Do not rinse the mouth much with water. It removes the fluoride content from the teeth and does not work effectively.
- Do not a put a bottle of juice or sugary liquid during bed time. Baby may fall asleep with the bottle in the mouth. This causes the exposure of teeth to the liquid leads to dental decay and discoloration of teeth
- Avoid sugary juices. Most of the people think that juices are healthy but continuous consumption of juices causes tooth decay and obesity.
- Sticky foods should be avoided. This may clog into the teeth leads to tooth decay problems.
- Always wear a mouth guard when playing outdoor games.
- Drinking more water makes children healthy. This helps to remove any food particles clog in the mouth.
- Take your child to the dentist for regular checkup.
- Balanced diet also helps in the maintenance of healthy teeth. Calcium containing food helps the teeth become stronger.
Oral hygiene can be maintained by brushing twice daily. This helps prevent dental problems in future and teeth become more healthy.