This procedure is done to restore the lost bone when infected with dental diseases like gum diseases, tooth loss or to increase bone in the patient’s jaw. Tooth loss is the main reason for loose of bone. Through this treatment you can maintain your teeth structure after it is treated with teeth extraction. Dental bone grafting is also called as regenerative surgery.
- When the person is effected with periodontal disease
- Infection and dental disease
- Tooth loss
- If the dental gum is not enough, not wide or both
- Injury or trauma
These are the major reasons for loss of bone and these must be treated with dental bone grafting.
What does dental bone grafting involve?
Before you get treated with dental bone grafting you must get treated with scaling and root planning. Along with this you must also take proper care of your teeth.
Before the surgery begins the area that is to be treated will be given anesthesia to numb it. The dentist will separate gums from the teeth were bone grafting has to be done and then it is cleaned thoroughly. Next holes in the bones will be covered with grafting materials such as cadaver bone, your own bone, cow bone and synthetic glasses and finally these are covered with a barrier.
Barriers used here are made of cow and human skins and synthetic materials. Grafting materials now will be kept in the same area and then stitched. This area can be covered by a bandage or dressed. After treatment in next six to nine months a new bone or soft tissue is placed in the area.
Side effects of dental bone grafting:
- Once you are treated you may have some minor complications like swelling, bleeding
- Infections may effect your teeth
- Chance of developing cavities in your teeth
- Teeth may become sensitive to cold and hot foods
- Have a regular dental check up
- Don’t touch the treated area
- Don’t apply pressure on the area which is treated
- Avoid smoking and other foods that may effect your teeth or jaws
- It is recommended to use gauze pad to avoid bleeding soon after the treatment
- Use of ice packs reduces swelling and pain
- Use antibiotics given by your dentist
- Oral hygiene is necessary for healthy and long lasting teeth
This will reduce the impact of side effects and will keep your teeth clean and healthy.