You need to take special care of your vehicle in winter. This is because – lower temperatures may bring several problems to the vehicles as well as the driving conditions. Here are some winter driving tips along with a checklist that would help you make your vehicle prepared for winter.
Preparing the vehicle for winter
This is the first step that you need to take to make your driving smooth and hazard less in winter. For this, you need to winterize your vehicle – check the working conditions of various parts of the vehicle and get them repaired, if any. This helps you avoid sudden breakdowns. For this, you need check the following parts and keep them in a good condition either by repairing or by replacing those parts. Some of them are:
- Wiper blades
- Ignition system
- Exhaust system
- Tiers and their air pressure
- Any leaks in the vehicle etc.
Keep the winter emergency kit in car
Once the above step is done, keep all the necessary and emergency things in your vehicle. These things include: torch and batteries, ice scrapers, battery jump leads, extra screen wash, reflective jacket, shovel, windshield scraper, tow rope, etc. This emergency kit can help you in times of need, throughout the season.
Essential measures before you drive
- Check the conditions of the road.
- Watch out for weather forecasts, traffic reports and instructions with the help of your car radio.
- Avoid shortcuts and stay on designated roads.
- Fill your vehicles oil tank before start traveling.
- As said above, keep all emergency kit in your car especially for long drives.
Necessary precautions on the road
- Use brakes with caution to avoid skidding – especially when you are driving in snow or ice, and in intersection points.
- Use fog lights or dim headlights when you are in fog, to make sure that the way is clear for your driving.
- Go in low speed and maintain the distance from the other vehicles to avoid accidents or hazards.
- Never try to go in blowing snow, as there may be vehicles which are not visible.
- Be physically and mentally alert when driving.
Taking care of your vehicle, apart from having a car driver in winter would avoid hazards.