A broken link is a major problem of web sites. It defines the links which doesn’t work and fails to display the web pages that have been deleted or removed. It results in the error pages like web server error page or 404 or browser error page probably increasing the negative effects. Knowing the factors that affects the web site and solutions for resolving them are provided in the following article.
Effects of broken links
- Broken links slows down your website
- They result in making your website untended
- Excessive broken links acts like stop signs that halts the further progress of search engines thus diminishing the value of your web site or blog.
- Broken links also effects free traffic to your site making the search engines interpret this effect as a high bounce rate which have a bad impact on site rankings.
- Dead links are not just trouble some their presence may cause damage to your online business revenue and its reputation in the internet.
Ways to find broken links
Broken links can be detected in your website by the display of non existing pages showing 404 errors or can also be detected by the help of link checkers available widely in internet.
- Presence of broken links effectively stops search engines from listing your website. Removing or fixing broken links from your website makes the search engines to index and tell the search engines that the website is not being neglected. In the process of optimization the web site links are tested and the broken links are removed and repaired. The following are few steps to fix broken links:
- The incorrect links have to be corrected by editing and replacing the incorrect URL link with the right URL.
- Try to replace with new updated and corrected link if the page which is linked is removed.
- Removal of the link which is present in your article and no longer exists.
- Broken links if present affect the websites speed hence to increase the speed try reducing the HTTP requests which usually slows down your website pages to load.
Broken links have to be checked frequently as a part of website maintenance or opt for a website monitoring company to perform such activity in addition with website maintenance. This act improves the performance of your website and boosts up revenue by developing traffic.